Southern Red Bishop


Hello everyone,

Its been a really busy February and the temperatures have been too high for this time of the year.  We have had no rain virtually all month and yet we are supposed to be in the rainy season.  Schools did not open as planned at the beginning of January because the heavy rains then led to a severe outbreak of Cholera countrywide.  However, they opened on 12 February, and I went to Livingstone to be there on opening day at our ECD centre in Livingstone. 

I also met good friends who had come from Scotland on a two week working trip - it was so lovely to catch up with them again after a long time.  We did a sunset cruise down the Zambezi one evening and saw lots of bird life and a lot of hippos too!

Hippo

White crowned lapwing

Southern Red Bishop


Fish Eagle

White Breasted Cormorant


Livingstone  ECD centre had quite a few children on the first day, but unfortunately one of the teachers has left - she was recruited by a Government school...this makes teacher training frustrating!  Now we have to look for a new teacher.  The teachers who remained had not made plans for the term and so together with them, we began cleaning up all the materials and sorting them out.  The first week of term is always half day for the children so I was able to spend time with the teachers.  I decided to stay an extra day to help them with the cleaning and sorting out!

There were a few new children and one little boy cried most of the day - I am sure by the end of the week he settled in well!  I love spending time with the children!






I left Livingstone very early the next morning and drove to Mazabuka on the way home to Lusaka.  Here one of the teachers has also left - gone to a school which pays more money!  So, the two teachers who remained were busy organising things for the children.  Again a good number of children had reported to school.

This is one of the ECD centres with no toilets.  I met with the new minister and we went to see two recently built toilet blocks at two church buildings within Mazabuka.  Both of them have incorporated child toilets into their toilet blocks.  We discussed at length how the toilets could be built and soon a plan will be drawn up and the toilet building will start!



With Rev J Kachulu, visiting toilet blocks

The Women's Guild in CCAP Synod of Zambia have started a Leadership Development project where they are making a training manual for the leaders in their Presbyteries and Congregations!  I helped to facilitate this workshop where the 6 members of the Executive committee came together.  They had a wonderful week and at the end they have produced a manual.  It will be translated into 3 languages, ChiNyanja, ChiTumbuka and ChiBemba, as well as English.  This will be used by members of the Women's Guild all over the country!  It is a great achievement for the Guild!

Betty, the secretary, typing the manual!

Busy at work


The Women's Guild executive with the Chairlady Mrs Dailes Sakala, third from left.

In Lusaka, I have a lovely maid, Doris who comes a couple of mornings a week to my home.  She gave birth to a beautiful baby around Christmas time and has named her Diane!  What a blessing!  (....there are many babies both in Malawi and Zambia with the name Diane!!)




I was invited to my landlady's baby shower - we had a lot of fun and ate this beautiful cake - I am not a great cake lover but it was amazingly light and delicious!


Baby shower biscuits...

I am blessed to live in a place with a lovely garden and lots of amazing wildlife - some nicer than others!!  The dragon flies are beautiful colours but so difficult to photograph as they move so fast!  Its not often we get woodpeckers in the garden but it was lovely to see this female making a hole in the tree!

Bearded woodpecker


Christmas in Zambia is not limited to December as I usually receive Christmas cards at all times of the year!  Here are the 5 I received today - thank you so much to those who take the time to send them to me!!




As I write this, I have just finished packing my suitcase as I am returning to Northern Ireland for a medical check up!   I had a CT scan last week which showed some abnormalities and I need to go and see the consultant in Belfast.  Please pray for my travel and that I can see the consultant quickly and get any treatment that I may require!  I hope to be back in Zambia soon!

Blessings and love,
Diane

Comments